020 3372 5125 Email us today
Enquire today
Unmarried Partner Visa
Unmarried Partner Visa

Unmarried Partner Visa

An Unmarried Partner Visa is designated for those who wish to bring their long-term unmarried partner to the UK and make their permanent home in this country.

This is not a separate visa category and in fact, falls under the spouse visa category, with the rules around it being largely the same.

RVS Solicitors Can Help You Obtain a Spouse Visa in the UK

One of the highlights of our work is reuniting families and bringing couples together.

Our specialist immigration solicitors have represented, with success, hundreds of couples in their quest to be reunited in the UK and they can make that happen for you too.

See our client testimonials to see how we’ve helped reunite couples and families in the UK.

The rules and regulations around Unmarried Partner visa can be challenging. To ensure that you have the best chance of success from your first attempt, it is imperative that you secure the best immigration representation available. Our immigration solicitors specialising in Unmarried Partner visas will effortlessly guide you to success.

Contact our family and spouse lawyers to find out more how we can help you. Call us on 020 3372 5125 or fill in the online form.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)

What are the requirements for UK Unmarried Partner Visa?

To successfully apply for a UK Unmarried Partner Visa, you need to:

  • be over 18 years of age
  • Live in a genuine, subsisting relationship akin to marriage with a British national or a person settled in the UK
  • prove you can meet the financial requirements for this route
  • meet the English language requirements
  • have suitable accommodation
  • Provide TB certificate if you are resident of a country from which such certificate is required.

What is the Relationship requirement for UK Unmarried partner visa?

To meet the relationship requirement for the UK Unmarried partner visa, you will need to demonstrate that you are in a genuine and subsisting relationship with a British national or someone who is settled in the UK.

As an unmarried partner, you will normally be required to demonstrate that you have cohabited as a couple for at least 2 years. The cohabitation could have happened in the UK or overseas. You will need to provide evidence of this by way of showing shared accommodation, shared financial responsibilities, like paying bills etc.

While the 2 year cohabitation is the default position when it comes to Unmarried Partner visa, it can be dispensed off, if the couple can prove their relationship is a durable one irrespective of the duration. More often this happens if the couple has a child or there were special circumstances that prohibited the couple from living together for a while, but evidence of the strength of relationship is available.

As part of relationship requirement, you will also need to show that any previous relationship that you had has terminated. Therefore, if you were previously married, you will need to supply a divorce certificate to evidence the termination of that marriage.

What is the financial requirement for UK Unmarried Partner visa?

The financial requirements which you need to meet for this route can be a bit overwhelming, in particular when it comes to the evidential part of it.

The sponsoring partner needs to show they earn:

  • a minimum of £18,600 per annum if it’s only the partner who is applying;
  • If the sponsoring British citizen and their foreign partner have a dependent child, the threshold rises to £22,400. A further £2,400 is added for any additional child.

There are number of ways to meet this requirement. You can use income from employment, self-employed, rental or share income or cash savings. If you are relying only on cash savings, the savings must be at least £62,500 and will grow if there are dependent children.

If you are applying from overseas to join your partner in the UK, you cannot rely on your own income from employment or self-employment.

In some cases, it is also possible to use third party financial support. You will need to prove you have exceptional circumstances for third party support to be acceptable and you will need to prove that such support will continue for the duration of your stay.

If your British or settled partner is someone who receives benefits as disabled person or a carer, you can rely on that income and you will not need to prove that it comes to the required £18,600 per year. They will instead need to prove that they can support you and any dependent child adequately. There is a special formula that is used to calculate this adequate maintenance.

How can I prove my knowledge of English Language?

You will need to prove your knowledge of English Language at minimum CEFR Level A1, if this is your first application as an unmarried partner, or if you are applying to extend your leave in this category, then CEFR Level A2.

If you are a national of qualifying English speaking country, you will not be required to provide any additional evidence, proof of nationality will suffice.

If you do come from any other country, you will need to provide one of the following:

  • degree certificate or academic qualification that was taught or researched in English. Your qualification must be recognised by UK NARIC as being equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree or higher; or
  • Certificate of passing relevant English language test from a qualifying test provider.

If you are above the age of 65 or are someone with mental or physical disability that prevents you from sitting or taking an exam, you will not be required to prove your language knowledge.

How to meet accommodation requirement for UK Unmarried partner visa?

As part of the application, you will need to prove that as a couple, you will have adequate accommodation. This means you will need to show there is at least one room only for your exclusive use as a couple. You will need to have more rooms, if there are children as well. It doesn’t matter what the nationality of the children is. The rules for assessing whether the accommodation is overcrowded or not are as follow:

  • Children under 1 can share a room with parents;
  • children under 10 are considered as half a person, so can share a room.
  • Children over 10 of the same sex can share a room, but not children over 10 of the opposite sex, so you will need to have a separate room for them.
  • If there are any other adults in your family or household, they need their separate rooms as well.

To provide evidence of your accommodation, you can rely on surveyor reports, estate agent reports, property deeds and any other independent source of information showing the number of the rooms in the property.

How long will I be able to remain in the UK on Unmarried partner visa?

As partner visa is, in effect, the same route as the spouse visa, you will be granted a 33 months leave, if applying from overseas, or 30 months, if applying from within the UK. You will then need to apply for your visa extension and if successful, you will be granted a further 30 months leave.  After 5 years on this visa, you can apply to settle in the UK. If you get married to your partner during your leave, this will not alter in any way the timeline towards your settlement.

Can I bring my child to the UK?

Unmarried partner visa allows you to bring your dependent child to the UK with you. Whether the child is with your British or settled unmarried partner or from a previous relationship, does not matter. If the child doesn’t have British nationality, you will need to apply to get a visa for them as well. If the child is from a different relationship, you will need to show that you have the care of the child.

What can I do on Unmarried Partner visa?

Your unmarried partner visa will allow you to live and work in the UK. You will be able to take any job that you are qualified for without needing to have a sponsorship from a UK based employer, you can establish your own business and be a self-employed person, you can own a property and do most of the things that a British person can. You will not be able to access public funds and the family should always be mindful that they will need to show that they can independently maintain themselves.

How can RVS Solicitors help you?

At RVS Solicitors we have a team of solicitors specialising in unmarried partner visas. The years of experience our team has accumulated has saved our clients a lot of grief and finances.

We offer a wide range of services: we can advise you in respect of your application, carry out document checking and or take over the matter fully for you, leaving you to only worry about the logistics of your move.

If you wish to apply for a UK Spouse or Family visa, please contact our London office on 020 3372 5125 or complete our online form to make an appointment. Find out more information on our fees and timescales here.

To read more about similar issues please visit our blog or read on how we have helped others in similar circumstances by visiting our success stories

Please call us on 020 3372 5125 or get an online consultation

    Follow by Email
    Contact our experts in Immigration
    Unmarried Partner Visa
    Director & Head of Corporate & Business Immigration
    For legal advice
    call us today
    020 3372 5125
    Or complete our online enquiry form to make an appointment

      Unmarried Partner Visa
      Unmarried Partner Visa
      What Our Clients
      Say About Us
      She is very professional while creating a friendly and comforting relationship with her clients
      I am very happy with the level and quality of service I got from Dr. Lusine Navasardyan. She is very professional while creating a friendly and comforting relationship with her clients. The service from Lusine was professional,efficient and well organised. Lusine worked extremely hard at resolving my all issues while getting the best result.
      What Our Clients
      Say About Us
      Dealing with Rakhi was more like having In house counsel than hiring a law firm
      So Rakhi Singal of RVS has just handled my divorce, it was a very complex case and I came to Rakhi at the very last minute on a friend’s recommendation. My case was a mess and I stood to lose everything.

      Dealing with Rakhi was more like having In-House counsel than hiring a law firm, she does not approach her clients as a cash machine like many law firms do, she works with you to manage and minimise your costs and de-escalate conflict rather than throw wood on the fire.
      What Our Clients
      Say About Us
      She has been very professional and a reliable person
      Dr. Lusine has been working on my case. She has been very professional and a reliable person. She was always attending to my queries and she has always been very friendly throughout my case.
      What Our Clients
      Say About Us
      Rakhi’s passion for her profession supersedes the norm
      From the very outset of my situation, Rakhi identified the immediate difficulties I faced and offered me a sympathetic and rational approach to my situation, ensuring that she had a full understanding of my issues and concerns. Rakhi’s approach to my case was monumental and customary to my needs and that of my child, which was a fundamental point for me.
      What Our Clients
      Say About Us
      Very detailed advice, friendly and approachable
      Excellent service for my wife's spousal visa from Lusine: very detailed advice, friendly and approachable. Also flexible in contact by email and provided an excellent cover letter.
      What Our Clients
      Say About Us
      Really impressed with Rakhi’s dedication to our case
      Could not be more pleased with the results!

      Really impressed with Rakhi’s dedication to our case and her knowledge and experience on dealing with the case. She communicated with us throughout the process, providing me with regular updates. Thank you so much, I cannot vouch for her work enough and RAW Invites are happy for you to continue to act for all their matters in the future.
      What Our Clients
      Say About Us
      She is professional, intelligent, hard worker and cheerful!
      I highly recommend Dr. Lusine Navasardyan, as she is professional, intelligent, hard worker and cheerful, she helped us from the beginning of our case until the very end, when she prepared a strong bundle with over 385 pages, which helped us get a successful victory in our Asylum case . I strongly recommend her as I really appreciate all the professional work that she has done . Many thanks to her.
      What Our Clients
      Say About Us
      Professionalism, Quality, Responsiveness, Value
      Highly recommended. Lusine helped me out with my ILR 10-year continuous residency application. She explained everything to me, and patiently answered all my questions. She also put my mind at ease. They are very quick in replying to my emailed queries. I consulted two other solicitors before someone recommended RVS to me; the first one did not seem quite sure what to do, the second had exorbitant rates. RVS's fees are very reasonable given their professionalism.
      What Our Clients
      Say About Us
      Professionalism, Quality, Responsiveness, Value
      I am so thankful that we found RVS Solicitors. I had an extremely complicated immigration case which has been successful. Lusine and Eylem was extremely patient and helpful during the entire process and went above and beyond to help me. Their knowledge on immigration law is second to none and they explore all possible options in order to help you. I will never be able to thank them enough for their advice, service and compassion.
      What Our Clients
      Say About Us
      The best lawyers . They work very professional they help you they always out there for you to help you out in your situation well done RVS Solicitors I will extremely recommend 👍and special thank to Eylem Kara 🙂
      Our Google Reviews
      Read our Google reviews
      Unmarried Partner Visa Unmarried Partner Visa Unmarried Partner Visa Unmarried Partner Visa Unmarried Partner Visa Unmarried Partner Visa