After living in the United Kingdom for many years, it is natural you may wish to achieve Settlement so you can be free from immigration controls and apply for British Citizenship after 12 months.
At RVS Solicitors, we can swiftly evaluate your situation and advise you on whether you qualify for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) via long residence.
How RVS Solicitors Can Assist Your Indefinite Leave to Remain Application
Led by Dr Lusine Navasardyan, our immigration law specialists are proactive, responsive, and provide intelligent, up-to-date legal advice.
When you instruct us, you can be confident your calls and emails will be promptly returned, and your matter dealt with effectively and efficiently.
We operate a law firm in London with a difference. We focus on our clients and will carefully listen to what you wish to achieve for the long-term. We will then put together a strategy to attain your desired results.
RVS Solicitors is a 100% digital office. We are flexible in how clients wish to deal with us, including providing video conferencing facilities.
Each client is given access to their own document portal and is kept up to date with their case whenever and wherever they are.
Furthermore, the portal allows clients to send messages directly to their instructed Solicitor. We continue to reinvent the client’s journey and experience in seeking legal advice. Read about our vision here.
- What are the eligibility criteria for ILR long residence?
- What is ‘continuous residence’?
- Could I be refused ILR if it is deemed not in the ‘public interest’ to grant it to me?
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)
What are the eligibility criteria for ILR long residence?
To be eligible for ILR under the long residence route, you must:
- have at least ten years continuous lawful residence in the UK
- show no reason why granting leave is against the public good
- meet the English language and life in the UK requirements
- not fall under the general grounds for refusal
- not be in breach of immigration laws, except
- for any period of overstaying for 28 days or less which will be disregarded where the period of overstaying ended before 24 November 2016
- where overstaying on or after 24 November 2016, leave was nevertheless granted by paragraph 39E of the immigration rules.
What is ‘continuous residence’?
To prove continuous residency, you need to provide evidence that you have not spent more than 540 days outside of the UK within the ten-year period of lawful leave you have accumulated.
You can leave the UK for up to 180 days at a time without breaking continuous lawful residence.
Should you have been outside the country for more than 540 days in total, if you can prove compelling or compassionate reasons, UK Visas and Immigration can use their discretion to make an exception in your case.
Our immigration solicitors are highly experienced in dealing with immigration officials and can write a detailed letter of explanation on your behalf, accompanied by persuasive evidence arguing that discretion should be applied in your case.
Could I be refused ILR if it is deemed not in the ‘public interest’ to grant it to me?
The immigration official considering your application must decide whether it is in the public interest to grant ILR. If there are reasons that granting leave may not be in the public interest, the caseworker must balance these by considering your:
- strength of connections in the UK
- personal history, including character, conduct, associations, and employment record
- domestic circumstances
- compassionate circumstances
- any representations on your behalf
Our team can quickly advise you if your application could be rejected on public interest grounds.
We can then draft representations on your behalf, outlining why, according to the above circumstances, ILR should be granted.
Let Lusine and her team assist you with applying for Settlement in the UK through long-term residence. We will ensure this sometimes-complex route is made simple and all the necessary supporting documents are submitted with your application.
By instructing us, you can trust that everything required to ensure a successful result is done.