Spouse Visa Extensions

If you have been granted a UK Spouse Visa, congratulations.  You can reside in Britain with your spouse and begin your life together.  However, you need to keep in mind that after 30 months (2.5 years), you will be required to apply for a Spouse Visa Extension.  These applications do not always run smoothly. Instructing experienced immigration lawyers is essential to ensuring your Spouse Visa extension is approved, allowing you to continue your journey towards achieving Settlement.

RVS Solicitors has a wealth of experience in immigration law matters.  Led by Dr Lusine Navasardyan, our specialist lawyers understand the motivations of the Home Office when making Spouse Visa extension decisions and the types of application issues that can lead to a refusal.  By instructing us, you can be confident that what your submit to UK Visas and Immigration is correct and any weaknesses in your application explained in a covering letter wherever possible.

Contact our experienced immigration lawyers in London

Call our expert immigration team on 020 3372 5125 or complete our online enquiry form for a free assessment.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the requirements for a Spouse Visa Extension?

Firstly, you must remember that your extension application must be made prior to your existing Spouse Visa expiring.  To be granted an extension, you need to show:

  • Your spouse/civil partner is a British Citizen or settled in the UK
  • You have met each other and are legally married
  • You live with your spouse and have adequate accommodation
  • Your sponsoring spouse meets the financial requirements of £18,600 per year (this increases if you have children)
  • You fulfil the English language requirements

I can come as a shock to many that the financial requirements of a Spouse Visa apply to the extension application as well.  It is crucial you keep this in mind as UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) may refuse your extension application if your sponsoring spouse has decided to take another job during your period of leave which does not pay £18,600.

Do I need to supply supporting documents again?

Yes, supporting documents will be required.  These include:

  • Your current passport 
  • Your marriage certificate
  • Evidence that you and your spouse have been living together continuously in the UK
  • Your National Insurance number (if you have one)
  • Your UK address
  • Bank statements and details of your salary showing your sponsor can meet the minimum income threshold
  • Your sponsor’s British passport or Indefinite Leave to remain documents
  • Details of any children who came to join you in the UK
  • Any criminal convictions (if relevant)

Not having the correct supporting documents or submitting them incorrectly is a major reason Spouse Visa extension applications are refused.  Lusine and her team will help you collate the necessary documents and fill in the forms correctly. If there are any weaknesses in your application, our immigration Solicitors will provide an explanation in a covering letter.

What if I have spent time outside the UK?

UKVI will want the satisfaction that you and your spouse intend to live permanently in Britain.  Although there are no hard and fast rules relating to how much time you can spend outside the UK, you could risk having your extension application refused if you have lived in another country for a significant time during your leave.

We recommend you limit your time outside the UK to more than 180 days in any 12-month period.

What should I do if my Spouse Visa extension application is refused?

The British government has long worked towards the goal of reducing immigration.  Family visas are often refused due to this objective. If your extension application is refused, contact us immediately.  We will quickly evaluate your situation and provide practical, robust advice regarding the best steps to take.

If you wish to apply for a UK Spouse or Family visa, please contact our London office on 0203 372 5125 or complete our online form to make an appointment. Find out more information on our fees here.

Immigration News

4th October 2019

Sponsor Licence Compliance Audit

The Home Office can turn up at your premises unannounced.  That’s right – if you hold a UK Sponsor L...



What our clients say