Start-up Visa

If you have a new business idea that you want to launch in the UK, then the Start-Up Visa may be the best entry-route into the UK.   In early 2019, the UK government replaced the Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa and Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur Visa with the Innovator Visa and the Start-up Visa.  At RVS Solicitors, our experienced business immigration law team will assist you in making a successful application for a Start-up Visa. We will then assist you in moving onto the Innovator Visa if you wish to remain in the UK after two years and work towards Settlement.

At RVS Solicitors, we understand the excitement and challenges of launching a new venture – we have been there ourselves.  We understand your drive and passion and wish to celebrate your success. By working with our immigration Solicitors, you can be confident that your Start-Up Visa application has the best chance of success.

Contact our experienced immigration lawyers in London

Call our expert immigration team on 020 3372 5125 or complete our online enquiry form for a free assessment.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is a Start-Up Visa for?

According to the Rules, “This category is for people seeking to establish a business in the UK for the first time.”  People switching to this visa may already be in the UK on a Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) Visa, Tier 2 Visas, Tier 4 (General) Students, and Standard Visitor Visas.

The key difference between the Start-Up Visa and the Innovator Visa is that no investment funds are required for the former.  In addition, unlike the Tier 1 (Graduate) Entrepreneur Visa, the category is open to anyone who meets the endorsing and entry-requirement criteria.

It is also possible to apply for a Start-Up Visa as part of an entrepreneurial team.

What are the eligibility requirements for a Start-Up Visa?

Applications for an Innovator Visa will be assessed on the following three merits:

  • Innovation – an original business idea and a plan that proves you meet an existing market need.
  • Viability – proof you have or are developing the required experience, skills, and knowledge to run a profitable business in your chosen sector.
  • Scalability – evidence that your business can grow and provide jobs to UK settled individuals.

Your endorsing body will check in with your progress six and 12 months into the visa.

You will also need to show:

  • Evidence you have been endorsed in this category by an approved endorsing body.
  • Proof you can speak English to a B2 level. 
  • A credible business plan.
  • You have at least £945 in your bank account/s for 90 days prior to applying.

Can I bring family members to the UK on a Start-Up Visa?

Dependent family members can join you in the UK.  A dependent is defined as your spouse or partner and children under 18 years.  

You must have £630 for each dependant in addition to the £945 you need to support yourself.

How we can help

Our business immigration Solicitors will provide clear, practical advice to you and your family on applying for a Start-Up Visa.  If achieving Settlement in the UK is your ultimate goal, we will work with you throughout the life of your visa to ensure you achieve your ambitions.

Let our team assist you with applying for CoS, RLMT, and all other matters relating to Sponsor Licence compliance.  Call our London office on 0203 372 5125 to make an appointment.

Immigration News

4th October 2019

Sponsor Licence Compliance Audit

The Home Office can turn up at your premises unannounced.  That’s right – if you hold a UK Sponsor L...



What our clients say