Family & Spouse Visa Solicitors OLD

The UK government has heavily targeted family and spouse visa applicants – the refusal rate is high. It is therefore imperative to invest in expert legal advice from a law firm that cares about your family, to ensure your UK family visa application is accepted the first time.

At RVS Solicitors, reuniting families and bringing couples together is a highlight of our work.  Our team works closely with families who require entry-clearance to be together in the UK, helping them to apply for their visa and representing them if their application has been refused.

The UK government has heavily targeted family and spouse visa applicants – the refusal rate is high.  It is therefore imperative to invest in expert legal advice from a law firm that cares about your family, to ensure your UK family visa application is accepted the first time.

RVS Solicitors are pioneering a new generation of law firm; providing a modern, vibrant, digitally-based service, tailored to you and your specific legal needs.  We understand how precious your time is.  If you need a UK family or spouse visa, our specialist immigration solicitors will take care of the matter for you, from start to finish.  With our comprehensive knowledge of the workings of UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI), gained through many years of handling complex immigration cases, we filter out all the jargon and present you only with the information you need, when you need it, using our digital platform.  By instructing us, you can relax in the knowledge that we will give you the very best chance of being awarded a UK family or spouse visa.

Our experts in Immigration

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)

To successfully apply for a UK Spouse Visa, you need to:

  • be over 18 years
  • be in a civil partnership or a marriage with a UK settled person which is recognised in the UK
  • prove you can meet the financial requirements
  • meet the English language requirements
  • have suitable accommodation

If you are in a relationship but are not married or civil partners, you can apply to come to the UK as the partner of a UK citizen or settled person if you have been living together in a durable relationship for two years.

The financial requirements which need to be met to enter the UK on a spouse or family visa are high.  The sponsoring spouse/partner needs to show they earn a minimum of £18,600 and that they have been earning this sum for at least six months.  If the sponsoring British citizen and their foreign partner or spouse have a dependent child, the threshold rises to £22,400.  A further £2,400 is added for any additional child.

From 10th August 2017, UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) will accept evidence of third party support to meet the financial threshold in some exceptional circumstances:

  • Where there is credible evidence of financial support for the couple from a third party such as a family member,
  • If the caseworker is satisfied that this financial assistance will remain unchanged, and
  • The relationship between the sponsor and the third party will remain unchanged.

UKVI must also have regard to the welfare of any children subject to the application.

As the world’s population ages, and young people become more mobile, the issue of caring for elderly relatives left-behind in a person’s home country is becoming more of a pressing issue.

The UK provides an Adult Dependent Relative Visa, which allows those settled in the UK to bring over a dependent relative who is a national of a country outside the EEA.

To successfully apply, you must prove:

  • Your relative needs long-term care to do every day personal and household tasks because of illness, disability, or age
  • the care they need is not available or affordable in the country where they live
  • you can support, accommodate, and care for your relative without claiming public funds for at least five years

The Adult Dependent Relative Visa can be exceptionally hard to obtain.  However, many of our applications have been successful.

Children and those coming to the UK on an Adult Dependent Relative Visa do not have to prove their knowledge of English.  If you do come from a country where you need to prove your understanding of the English language, you can do so by:

  • having a degree or academic qualification that was taught or researched in English
  • proving your qualification is recognised by UK NARICas being equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree
 or higher

If you cannot prove your knowledge of English through your education, you will need to take an approved English language test.  Our team can assist you with finding a certified provider of the test in the UK or your home country.

If your application for a Spouse or Family Visa is refused, it can be devastating.  We are committed to helping families and couples who have been separated by immigration laws in the UK, and our in-depth knowledge of the appeals process and judicial review means we have a strong track-record of having previously rejected applications approved.

A Spouse or Family Visa application which has been rejected by UKVI will normally only be eligible for appeal if there is a human rights claim.  One advantage of instructing our dynamic team is we will ensure any rights under the European Convention of Human Rights are made clear, so your application has grounds for appeal if refused.

If your Spouse or Family Visa has been refused, it is imperative you come and talk to us, so we can advise you on the best action to take.  Our team are professional, smart and friendly, and will quickly establish the swiftest way to deal with your refusal.  Our ultimate goal is to ensure you and your family are able to move together to the UK, so you can begin your new lives and move forward to a prosperous future.

If you wish to apply for a UK Spouse or Family visa, please contact our London office on 020 3372 5125 or complete our online form to make an appointment. Find out more information on our fees here.

Ask Us a Question

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Immigration News

21st May 2020

How to renew your UK visa

You have been granted a UK visa that allows you to reside in the UK, study, work here or do business...



What our clients say

    Etiam magna arcu, ullamcorper ut pulvinar et, ornare sit amet ligula. Aliquam vitae bibendum lorem. Cras id dui lectus. Pellentesque nec felis tristique urna lacinia sollicitudin ac ac ex. Maecenas mattis faucibus condimentum. Curabitur imperdiet felis at est posuere bibendum. Sed quis nulla tellus.


    63739 street lorem ipsum City, Country


    +12 (0) 345 678 9