EEA Family Permit Application

Our solicitors are experts in dealing with EEA matters and can quickly spot if there are aspects of your application which may cause the Home Office to refuse it.

Since the UK voted to leave the European Union in June 2016, EEA nationals living in the UK have been keen to solidify their residency status.

As such, government data shows the number of German, Italian, and French nationals applying for British Citizenship has more than trebled in three years as the impact of the Brexit referendum is felt.

Almost 30,000 EU nationals applied to become British citizens between June 2016 and June 2017, double that of the previous year.

To obtain British Citizenship, EEA nationals and EEA family and extended family members need to apply for a Permanent Residence Card.  And non-EEA nationals who are coming to the UK as a family member of an EEA citizen must apply for a family permit, prior to gaining permanent residency.

Our smart, expert team have the knowledge and experience required to ensure your EEA application does not become one of the estimated 28% that are rejected by the Home Office.

Contact our team, so you can be assured your EEA family or extended family application, or submission for an EEA Permanent Residence Card will be processed swiftly and smoothly.

How RVS Solicitors Can Help Your EEA Family Permit Application

RVS Solicitors are pioneering a new generation of law firm; providing a modern, vibrant, digitally-based service, tailored to you and your specific legal needs.  We understand how precious your time is.

If you need an EEA Family Permit or Permanent Residence Card, our specialist immigration solicitors will take care of the matter for you, from start to finish.

With our comprehensive knowledge of the workings of UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI), gained through many years of handling complex immigration cases, we filter out all the jargon and present you only with the information you need, when you need it, using our digital platform.

You can relax in the knowledge that we will give you the very best chance of being awarded a family permit or permanent residency status.

If you require information about the EU settlement scheme, please head to the linked page. Read our testimonials to see how we’ve helped people achieve their EEA Family Permit Application.

Our experts in Immigration

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)

How do I apply for a family or extended family permit?

An EEA family permit makes it easy for a non-EEA family member of an EEA citizen to enter the UK.  If you do not have a permit, you may have trouble at the UK border.

To be eligible as an EEA family member you must be:

  • the spouse or civil partner of an EEA citizen
  • an unmarried partner of an EEA citizen with whom you are in a lasting relationship
  • a child or grandchild under 21 years old, or dependent child, or grandchild of any age of an EEA citizen
  • dependent parent or grandparent of an EEA citizen

Adopted family members are treated the same as a natural family for the purposes of EEA family permits.

An extended family member is a sibling, aunt, uncle, cousin, nephew or niece who is dependent on the EEA national, or a member of their household, or is reliant on their care due to a serious health condition.

You may also qualify for a family permit under the Surinder Singh Route, or if you have a derivative right of residence or retained right of residence.  Our team can assist you in quickly establishing if you can enter or remain in the UK under any of these routes.

What criteria must be met by the EEA citizen I am joining?

The EEA citizen whom you are joining must meet the following criteria:

  • have been either in the UK or travelling with you to the UK within six months of you applying for a family permit
  • if they have been in the UK for more than three months, they must have the right of permanent residence or be a ‘qualified person’

What is a ‘qualified person’?

A qualified person is exercising their EU Treaty rights.  This means, they are living in another EU member state as a person who is:

  • employed
  • self-employed
  • a student
  • economically self-sufficient

They must also be legally living in the member state.  For example, if they are a student or self-sufficient, it is important they have Comprehensive Sickness Insurance.

Why do I need a Permanent Residence Card?

If you are an EEA national and you have been legally exercising your Treaty rights in the UK for at least five years, you automatically gain permanent residency status.

This is why, prior to the EU referendum, few EEA nationals living in the UK bothered to obtain a Permanent Residence Card.

However, in 2015, the UK government changed the rules, making the Permanent Residence Card part of the eligibility criteria for acquiring British Citizenship.

Therefore, if you wish to become a British Citizen, to solidify your right to stay in the UK regardless of what happens with Brexit, you must first obtain a Permanent Residence Card.

How do I qualify for a Permanent Residence Card?

To qualify for a Permanent Residence Card, you must:

  • be a citizen of an EEA country
  • have been living in the UK as a ‘qualified person’ for at least five years
  • have followed all the immigration rules (for example, have Comprehensive Sickness Insurance if you are a student or economically self-sufficient)

Why should I instruct RVS Solicitors to help me apply for a Permanent Residence Card?

The refusal rate for Permanent Residence Cards is high.

Our solicitors are experts in dealing with EEA matters and can quickly spot if there are aspects of your application which may cause the Home Office to refuse it.

If possible, we will write a covering letter to accompany your application to explain any issues.

For example, many self-employed individuals do not have five years’ worth of invoices to submit as evidence they have been exercising their Treaty rights.

Our team can write a detailed explanation to ensure your application is not refused on these grounds.

By instructing us, you can save time, money, and relax in the confidence that we have got your EEA application in hand.

To find out more about how we can assist you with obtaining Leave to Remain as a family Member of an EU national, please contact our office on 020 3372 5125 or complete our online enquiry form to make an appointment. Find out more information on our fees here.

Ask Us a Question

    Immigration News

    21st May 2020

    How to renew your UK visa

    You have been granted a UK visa that allows you to reside in the UK, study, work here or do business...


    What our clients say