Smit joined RVS Solicitors as a Consultant Immigration Solicitor in April 2018. Smit qualified as a solicitor in November 2008 and has been practising exclusively in Immigration and Asylum work ever since.
Alumni & Qualifications
Smit has been recognized as “excellent” solicitor by UK Legal 500.
She has extensive experience in the following areas:
- Applications for entry clearance or leave to remain in the UK as a spouse, fiancé or unmarried partner
- Applications for visit visa (including Business Visitors) to the UK and successfully challenging the refusals
- Tier – 1 (Entrepreneur) applications
- Sole Representative of an Overseas Company visa
- Applications for British Citizenship (naturalisation and Registration) including applications for review
- Application for leave to remain under Ancestry route
- EEA Applications– All EU Brexit immigration matters including Family Permit, Zambrano, Surinder Singh, Residence Card and Permanent Residence
- Applications for limited leave or further leave to remainor Settlement in the UK
- Applications outside of the immigration ruleson human rights grounds
- Applications for Administrative Review
- Appeals at the First-tier Tribunal and the Upper Tribunal
- Asylum and Humanitarian Protection claims
- Detention, Deportation matters, Fresh Claim Applications and Bail applications
- Preparing judicial reviewand Court of Appeal matters
Smit has successfully challenged various visit visa refusals by way of pre-action protocol letter (PAP) and Judicial Review.
Smit also specializes in appeals and administrative review. Smit has also gained a broad range of experience in judicial review matter and has dealt with:
- emergency Injunction Applications to Upper Tribunal and the High Court
- challenges to removal
- certification challenges including human rightsclaims
- challenges to unlawful detention
- challenges to refusal of fresh claims
- challenges to refusal of entry clearance and Indefinite Leave to Remain
Smit is highly committed to client care and always acts in the best interests of her client.
London Immigration Solicitor
Smit has worked alongside other professionals in the following notable cases:
- Court of Appeal case – KS Burma  EWCA Civ 67: ‘Hanger-on’ issue as laid in Burmese Country Guidance in TL and Others (Sur Place Activities – Risk) Burma was challenged and was overruled.
- Court of Appeal case – NP (Sri Lanka) v SSHD  EWCA Civ 906: The lack of reference to internal relocation in a refusal letter refusing Asylum, and/or the lack of reliance on internal relocation either at the First-tier Tribunal (IAC) or in a Rule 24 response to grounds of appeal to the Upper Tribunal, or in written submissions pursuant to specific directions, do not prevent the Upper Tribunal (IAC) from addressing this ground of appeal at a hearing.
- CG case TL and Others (Sur Place Activities – Risk) Burma v SSHD: It was decided that CG case of HM is still valid and also that identities & roles of genuine activists in Burmese pro-democracy organisations based in London are known to Burmese authorities as they are photographed by them and hence face a real risk of persecution and ill-treatment if sent back to Burma.
- Petition to House of Lords in the case of ZO (Somalia) & others v SSHD in which the Supreme Court unanimously dismissed SSHD’s appeal holding that the Reception Directive can apply to second and subsequent application for Asylum
Smit is currently in Dubai advising clients on UK immigration.
Smit has received the following testimonials from a number of her clients.
“Smit is tenacious, hard working and sympathetic. Smit prepared and assisted me with my UK visa application after the other firms I had approached had dismissed my prospects of success.
She was extremely professional and provided me with a good understanding of the regulatory framework and the obstacles we needed to address. She made herself fully available for discussions, and was prompt and courteous with her responses.
I would recommend Smit for any immigration matter and wish her all the best in Dubai!”
“Smit worked on my application in 2017 for Permanent Residency as I felt the task to do it myself too daunting. Smit was really great handling my case and answering any questions I had during the process.
I found Smit very easy to talk to, patient, and very knowledgeable. I definitely recommend Smit and would instruct her again in the future for any other immigration matter. Smit would be an asset to any law practise.”
“I instructed OTS a year ago for my immigration matter. I am very glad I met Smit Kumar who delivered an excellent service and who guided me through every step of the case. Smit is not simply a great lawyer but she is also very friendly and easy to talk to. I would definitely recommend Smit as I really appreciate all the professional work she has done for me case. I have obtained permanent residency and will always be grateful to Smit for her help.”
“Smit assisted me with the submission of UK visa applications on two occasions. Both times the process was smooth and the application was approved thanks to Smit’s hard work, clear communication and attention to detail. I can definitely recommend Smit’s legal expertise!
I had the pleasure to have Smit as my solicitor for my EEA Permanent Residence application.
My application has been successful, and Smit has made the process simple and easy for me. She is very professional, calm and knowledgable, always ready to answer all my queries with a smile.
Any new clients and law firms will be very lucky to have such genuine and expert person as solicitor or member of the team.
“Smit is amazing, she helped me to organize everything for my application, she is really patience and answered all the questions that I have. I am really appreciate the help from Smit, I am definitely recommend her!”
“I know Smit for more than five years now. I have asked her advice in past for one of the legal matter and she did an outstanding work. She has helped me throughout the process with dedication and perseverance while pointing me in right direction. I would strongly recommend her in future.”
“Smit’s advice has been fantastic for us. Her recommendation and expertise helped my partner to get her necessary immigration related issues sorted. I found that she has good understanding of immigration law and is meticulous at her work. I highly recommend her!”
“Smit is very knowledgeable about immigration laws and her advice was extremely useful during my ILR and naturalization process. Smit comes across as a confident adviser who has vast experience and is always willing to help.”
“I know Smit Sagar for a long time now. My visa situation in UK got very tricky at one point and there were an array of complexities to learn, understand and apply as an immigrant. She was recommended by a close friend of mine to discuss my case. She was amazing and personable from the first moment I met her in getting my trust, both in terms of expertise on the matter as well as in terms of integrity. She was highly creative in coming out with solutions on my case, which had a critical time constraint to meet. Her advice led me to sort out my immigration visa issue in the best possible manner. I will highly recommend her any day for her focus on getting results, creativity and high integrity.”
Connect With Smit
You can connect with Smit on LinkedIn.
Or you can contact our office to discuss your case.